Thursday, August 2, 2012

A few updates

Hello lovelies!

It's been a while, once again. I have the habit of writing in a paper journal usually (I'm very fond of stationary and old school writing on paper type of things, haha).

Anyhow, I thought it might be time for a little update. A lot of things happened since the last time! Let's start and go in order.

First of all, let's do a follow up on Twin Peaks as mentioned in the previous post. My boyfriend and I finished the whole series; both seasons and the movie.
I must say that I really really liked it. The style is great and I love how atypical the story line is. Although, season 2 gets a bit bleh once the murder of Laura Palmer is solved (for which I thought the culprit choice was a bit odd, I must say, but it's Lynch after all). After the murder's resolution, the story kinda stagnates  for a bit, but picks up on other sub stories linking BOB to the lodges which is a very nice touch (to be noted is the enforced presence of Major Briggs, he is such a cool character).
The end is disappointing in the sense that the series calls for a third season, which was cancelled. Therefore, a lot of story hooks are left unresolved and one can only try to imagine what the continuation would be.

A little note one the movie now. It focuses on the last week of Laura's life, right before her murder. As much as it's nice to see the characters again in a nicer set/decors, I have to say that I didn't enjoy the movie so much. It was a flop in North America and a big  success in Japan. I think it's because of its unusual way of  showing and dealing with a lot of violence. It was a bit too much for me. Let's note though the amazing performance of Ray Wise and the guest appearance of David Bowie (!).

All in all, I loved the series but disliked the movie. I would recommend it to any fans of Lynch or lovers of weird/atypical storylines.



Another big thing that happened recently, still in a storyline kind of mood, is that I started Stoytelling a Vampire The Requiem game. Yes, it's my first time being a GM (I've been a player in a Vampire game before). As much I loved prepping up the story, I have to admit that I admire anyone who is a GM because it's so hard to do! It takes so much planning and as much as I try to be prepared, the fact that it's an open environment and the players are, so to speak, free to do what they want, makes it very hard to control, because there isn't really any control to have. As much as I thought I would be great with the story and suck with the rules, it's really the opposite that is going on. I know the book by heart now. (which I read from cover to cover the one day we had a huge storm and had a power outage).
I am now to prep up my second game for next Sunday and I'm really hoping I will make it in time. I have a nice intrigue for my coterie, but then again, I don't know in advance what they will want to do... Ah, I guess it's a test for my perfectionist and controlling self! I hope it unfolds well and they have fun playing. After all, that's the goal.

Lastly, my boyfriend took me out for a concert last week. It was Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses. It was great and we had a lot of fun! We took a bunch of pictures which I will post in my next blog entry because they are still on my camera for now.

Hope you have a great day and I will see you soon.
Take care,

V.



No comments:

Post a Comment